Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Touring Performer - January 2021 Edition

I can spend every evening like this!

 Last January, I wrote a post about how I was preparing to put thousands upon thousands of miles on my car. I was giving tips about surviving the incoming touring season which typically lasts from February to May.

In fact, over the last decade, I've written similar posts. These are as much to remind me about how to survive my schedule as it is to share with others how I manage it.

Not this year.


This year's workflow is very different.




1. I don't even know most shows are happening - The David changes the passwords on the pre-recorded shows on Sunday. Everyone who has a show booked that week gets the new password for the link, and they have access for seven days, He turns the links "on" and "off" as needed.


2. I have to edit particular intros or outros. - The David sends me images or video clips for specific venues. I edit them into the pre-existing packaged show, upload the altered show into Vimeo and The David sends the link to the particular venue.


"I think she's frozen!"
3. I have a new show or shows coming on-line, so I have to record, edit, and upload new material - I head upstairs to the studio, record the necessary material, come downstairs to the kitchen table, load the footage into my computer, edit it, compose the set, put a copy on my external drive, upload the content into Vimeo, and interact with it like step 1 or step 2.

4. I have a festival coming up where they want pre-recorded sets - I follow step three, organize the information, and send the sets to a dropbox. 

5. I have live/virtual shows - The night before the show, I go upstairs to my studio, check to make sure the background I've got on the frame is the background I want to use, make sure I have my video camera charged because I record me performing for the computer and then I edit the recorded live zoom show and upload it into Vimeo. The school then has access to the recording of me live/virtual telling to them for seven days.

I have a hate/love relationship with Live/Virtual

There are so many things that can go wrong with this set-up!

1. The internet on one end or the other gives up because of Gremlins.

2. The internet slows down because of Gremlins

3. The connection is bad because of Gremlins.

4. People randomly unmute themselves because of people.

5. The sound goes wonky because of Gremlins.

6. The people in their little boxes forget that you can see them and they do something.....because of people.

7. The children in their little boxes totally know they can see you so they do something....because of children.

8. You are totally distracted by the people in the boxes and you lose your concentration.

9. You are totally distracted by yourself looking back at you and you lose your concentration.

10. Your neighbor decides to cut down the tree in his backyard in the middle of your set because of neighbors.

11. Some random dog decides now is the time to express his displeasure at the clouds because of nature.

We are not a quiet bunch!

12. Your son and husband start having a great, loving, loud, silly conversation in the kitchen and you have to leave the set, and remind them you are performing live. They are covered with chagrin because they didn't know they were that loud...family.

13. Pets. Let's just leave it at that.





The Bottom Line?

It is just as exhausting.

I'd rather not have to do it.

I am enjoying it. 

Live Zoom is Exhausting!
Yes, I do see the appeal of live telling. The kids can see each other and me and they can interact. There are some things that make it tricky, like when they decide to unmute themselves when they are supposed to be joining me or doing call and response. I love to hear the voices, but they come in at all different speeds and at different times depending on what's happening on their computer.

It makes a cacophony of sounds that I must stop and wait for because kids who either didn't or couldn't unmute also hear it at different times. The pauses are odd and the rhythm of the story gets wonky. Still, it is kind of fun to watch the kids grooving out to storytelling.

They are at home, so nobody is making them sit still. Some kids go full Charleston Boogie. Some kids don't respond at all other than to stare at me unmoving. 

I've watched twins fight over the best viewing spot to see the screen while I'm telling. I watched one little girl act out each and every story enthusiastically a second after the narration.

People who are really into stories are the most fascinating, distracting, amazing things to watch. I'm enjoying a show while I'm presenting a show!

There are some wonderful things about this brave new touring world.

This is the easiest touring schedule I've ever had.

I fill up my car about once a month instead of two times a day.

As for the grueling commute...There are about a dozen stairs I have to climb. Think about my FiftyThree-year-old knees!

Yeah, I don't feel sorry for me either.

I have never toured so extensively and to so many countries and still managed to sleep in my own bed every single night! 

I actually like The David. I'm glad we get to spend time together!

I am enjoying this as much as I can while I can!


Happy Commuting.


6 comments:

  1. Don’t know if my comment posted! I love this! As a singer I can perform and share with several of my friends from around the country-often in real time. I can diva out from the waist up (make up and jewelry) and pj’s and fluffy slippers from the waist down. My audience can watch in their living room. And my “stage” is steps from my bedroom! No parking, load ins and load outs! There are things one might miss but I’m appreciating a new type of intimacy with my audience. What a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, you got it! I know exactly how you feel! There are so many good things about this new normal that I will miss...no, that I will add. I think I will continue with the virtual shows and pre recorded when this is all over. For starters, it is much cheaper for schools and venues. They don't pay travel or lodging or food. We shall see what happens next year. Either way, I have a date in Ireland. I am definitely going to go there.

      Delete
    2. You are blessed! Forget the joys of performing in PJ’s & slippers when you can go to Ireland!!! 👍🏾❤️

      Delete
  2. Is it weird that your blog instantly took me 12 years back to a discussion on how "gremlins affect steam & mechanical systems, but pixies that affect computers & technology?" I haven't thought of that in a minute!

    I am really loving the blessings of the virtual storytelling - both as a teller and a listener. I would not have been able to attend or perform or connect with so many people across the country and world as I have in the past year at this stage of my life if it wasn't for virtual. But the downside is that technology tends to glitch around me since I was a teen (hence that conversation - "you must have pixies!"), so it's made things challenging at times. It's honestly why I drag my feet updating everything. But so far, thanks be to God, the glitching during shows has been rather minimal. Hope I didn't just jinx myself!

    And, I totally can relate on having to run downstairs to remind my boisterous bunch that it's a live show - keep the noise down! lol

    Great blog Donna. Thank you, as always, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog, Misty! Pixies? Yes, I suppose it might very well be pixies!

      Delete
  3. Ugh!!! There's a glitch right there. The above "Is it weird..." comment was me, Misty Mator.

    ReplyDelete