Thursday, September 16, 2021

Wanna Make Money In Your Sleep? Keep Dreaming!

 

At some point last week, I was chatting with someone about storytelling. I have no idea who it was because I chat with lots of people about storytelling.

The person in question said something in passing that didn't strike me until days later, which is why I can't remember who said it. It might have been my daughter.

"If your business isn't taking advantage of the digital angle of work, you are just leaving money on the table."

At the beginning of 2020, I would have shrugged that off and thought about how we are storytellers and our work is in person.


From Peachtree Press

I would have been justified in saying that, except for one thing: I am a huge fan of making money in my sleep!

I define that as having projects out in the world that continue to bring in cash without you having to monitor them all of the time. 

For me these income streams include:

1. Books 

Which reminds me - I have a new book that dropped on September 1st!



2. MP3 Tracks

But that was pretty much it.

Then, March of 2020 hit. I wouldn't say I discovered Youtube, but let's just say I spent more time watching videos than I ever had. 

I watched videos about things I never even had any interest in. 

I fell in love with everything from Flat Earth Debunking videos to Reptile Keepers. I got hooked on several Youtubers who are all about Brexit, and I watched themed channels about anything my little heart desired.

I had a great time. Now I have a Youtube habit I need to curb. Sigh.

Anyway, some years ago I had this idea for a Youtube series that I never bothered to pursue. I realized that even as I was putting my ideas together I didn't have the capability to do it without some serious help. I had some vague ideas about getting my family members to help, but it never really got off the ground.

Here, in the fall of 2021, I have discovered that not only do I possess the required skills there isn't any reason not to shoot it and put it online.

Except for the fact that when it comes to diving into projects like this I am a huge procrastinator.

So, the other night I called my son and asked him if he would compose a lullaby for me. This is what he sent me.  


It is perfect for the little series I want to do! Then, I started thinking of the possibilities of what I could do with the series, and who might want to listen to it, and then...well, I figured the sky was just the beginning.

So, I told The David what I was thinking about doing, and he did one of those "Wait a Minute! Do you have a plan for this, or were you just going to throw it up on Youtube and see what happens?"

Well, yeah.

I mean, I have some ideas, some basic plans, tons of potential content, and a lullaby. What else do I need? 

In case you don't know, this is what happens when you live with your business manager. 

So, I did some thinking about what I am willing to do and what I have time to do. How to connect it to the people who might most enjoy it, how to do the initial spreading of the word, and how to monetize it effectively.

Then I thought about all of the ways I might start getting a following by using some of my more traditional marketing techniques, thinking about how many episodes I would have to upload, the schedule of release, the editing, possibly offering Patreon activities, and on, and on, and on....the whole thing became overwhelming because I can honestly say I have no interest in monitoring a Youtube channel.

I mean, I am not looking to add another element to my calendar that drains time out of my schedule. Why even begin something that will require this much tending? It isn't like I'm not busy!

I got myself worked up and then I just stopped and started laughing at myself. 

What am I so worried about?

You do a thing on youtube and you see what happens.

I know someone will watch it because that's the nature of Youtube, but it isn't like this is going to become my main source of income or anything like that! 

So, I am just going to go for it and enjoy the process. 

Will this new series turn into another source of income? Ummm, possibly, but I will definitely learn something, and on the other side of it, I will free up space in my brain for another project. (Originally I had written "probably not" but when I read it to The David he suggested turning probably not into possibly. That guy even believes in me when my syntax doesn't!")

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have breakfast, go to the gym, vacuum the house, clean the bathrooms, and all of the other things I can think of rather than start recording for what I know will probably take me three weeks of solid shooting before I have the whole series done.

I am nothing if not a procrastinator!

Still, I have a timetable now, and that's more than I had two days ago.

So, thanks to The David, and Devin, I am one step closer to making that sweet, sweet Patreon Youtube money in my sleep...someday. ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£


Happy Dreaming!



No comments:

Post a Comment