Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Day 4 - Ujamaa - Celebrate Kwanzaa!

 Ujamaa - (oo- JAH - mah)







Habari Gani? 

Ujamaa!  Cooperative Economics

It is important for African Americans to start and maintain businesses. The only way they can maintain them is if they have customers. Ujamaa is about making sure that we shop and participate with businesses owned and operated by African Americans in our community.

Being able to open and maintain businesses helps African Americans build wealth in their communities. They hire local people, and that means that the money enriches the surrounding area instead of being sent far away to a large corporation.

These days, I include all sorts of local shops in Ujamaa as more and more of our small stores struggle to compete with multi-national corporations. Some stores - I'm looking at you Walmart - I won't go into for any reason at all!

I especially include indy book stores in this group. Support local book shops!

Oh, and if you are near Durham, NC keep an eye out for this cafe and bookshop opening in March of 2021!


So, how did I express Ujamaa this year?

I purchase hair and skincare products from African American owned businesses.

I buy my performance outfits from African American owned stores, and I pick up meals at black-owned businesses.

When Rofhiwa opens, I will buy books from there!

What about you? Is there an African American owned business you could support today and through the year?

A quick story - 

There was once a cook named Kaliah. She worked for a chef named Michael in a rich man's kitchen. She spent her time flitting from one dish to another putting the finishing touches on everything. Nothing left the kitchen unless Kaliah had tasted it first.

The rich man was famous for the wonderful meals that were served at his table, and people yearned for an invitation to eat with him.

"Your cook is a marvel!" his guests would proclaim after a sumptuous meal. 

The rich man would chuckle proudly. "I know!"

"We would love to meet him!" 

The mayor would bellow, "Send for Michael!"

Michael would appear to collect his applause and praise.

One night, after a very large supper, Kaliah went to speak to Michael.

"Excuse me, Michael."

"What are you still doing here? You should go home. You have to be back early to start the bread."

"I would like to talk to you about increasing my wages."

"Why?" he demanded. "You make what everyone in the kitchen makes."

"I am here before everyone else, I leave after everyone else, and I am in charge of all of the stations. You ask so much more of me than you ask of anyone else. I think you should increase my wages."

Michael laughed. "Do you think you should make as much as I do? Ha!" 

Kaliah went home to her family. They were struggling to get enough money to put food on their own table. It wasn't fair.

The next morning, instead of going to the rich man's kitchen, she went in to see the local baker and offered to help him. He was grateful for her assistance. He paid her in two loaves of bread.

Next, she went to a stall that sold soup. It was still early. She helped him get his soup ready for the day and added a few touches here and there. He swore it was the best soup he'd ever made. He paid her in soup.

That day,  her family had more than enough to eat. Kaliah never did go back to the rich man's house. She continued to help the local cooks in her area. It made quite a difference for the people who lived and worked in the town. 

Eventually, Kaliah, with the help of her friends and neighbors opened up her own little cafe. She and her family did very well for themselves.

As for Michael? In the end, he started ordering copious amounts of food from Kliah's cafe. It was the only way he kept his job.

Invest in local merchants!








Happy Kwanzaa!





Day 1 - Umoja - Celebrating Kwanzaa!





No comments:

Post a Comment