Saturday, December 26, 2020

Day 1 - Umoja - Celebrating Kwanzaa!

 Unity



A story for Kwanzaa - 

Umoja is the first of the Nguzo Saba. The Nguzo Saba are the principles of Kwanzaa. These principles are meant to guide us through the year.

The first is Umoja - It means unity. It means we must work together to accomplish our collective goals. 

First - Consider the things you have worked for in your life over the last year.

For me, the biggest one that comes up is co-founding Artists Standing Strong Together. ASST is how I lived out Umoja in my community this year. My husband and I also donated to food pantries, donated our time to our church. 

In what ways did you exhibit Umoja this year?

So, here is a quick story to share about Unity.

Once there was a house. For many years it stood strong and tall. It did its job of keeping out the weather.

A family moved in that was prone to quarrel. The house could not help but notice.

One day, the roof announced in a loud voice, "I am the most important part of this house. I keep out the harsh sun, the snow, and the rain. Without me, this house is nothing.

The floors took offense. "You? The most important? Ha! I bear the weight of all of the furnishings in this house. Without me, this house would be nothing.

The ceilings chuckled. "I hold all of the lights. Nobody could live in this house without me!"

The basement complained loudly, "You think I'm less important because I am partially buried? I am the foundation!"

The attic was incensed. "Without me, where would people store their memories?"

Over the course of the next month, the house became discontent. 

One day, while the family was away for the holidays, a huge winter storm blew through the area. The roof refused to do its job unless everyone agreed it was the best. The same was true of the floors, walls, basement...well, you get the idea. As the wind howled, the house could not withstand the weather, and the whole thing collapsed.

The debris was cleared away.

When spring came, a new house was erected on the spot. This new resident of the neighborhood looked all about it to learn what it meant to be a house.

"Excuse me," it said to its nearest new neighbor. "Do you have any advice on how I can best serve my family?"

"Remember only this. Every single part is very important, but no matter how important it is, that doesn't mean it doesn't need help from everyone around it."


So it is for us - 


We live in families, neighborhoods, communities, states, regions and nations.

No matter who we are or how important we are, it doesn't change the fact that if we want to create a better present, safer neighborhoods, stronger bonds with others, and a brighter tomorrow, we must work together to achieve those goals.

It is only through unity that we can make a brighter future. When we work together, we can overcome most obstacles.

Now in Paperback!!!


Happy Kwanzaa!


Umoja - Day 1 Unity





No comments:

Post a Comment