Thursday, November 4, 2021

Things I Forgot....

I love my gorgeous silver hair!


I lost track of lots of things over the last year and a half.


- I forgot that the world is really big


- I forgot how much fun it is to "play" with people in person.


- I forgot that hearing a room full of adults who have no connection to storytelling not only fall in love with it, but be transported by it is like jumping over the moon.


- I forgot that I really, desperately need to have physical contact with other storytellers. 


- I forgot that I really, desperately need to have physical contact with other writers.

Stenciled on the crosswalks!

- I forgot how much this work is like my blood. Without it...



- I have missed being transported while I sit with others
!


- I have missed being with people who work in story who are not storytellers!


- I have missed being...well...plugged into life.


I'm in Florida  at the NCSL - The National Conference of State Legislatures

I was on a panel with Dr. Ben Sawyer


I don't remember the world being this big.


I don't remember the world being this small.


I don't remember ever wanting to weep simply at the fullness of being alive.


I Ubered for the first time.


I spoke to legislators about the power of story.

The room turned out not to be big enough!


The world is still spinning and we still have a chance to make it a place we can all share.


Today, I spent an hour with Republicans and Democrats who came to listen to Ben Sawyer and I talk about stories. 


I told a roomful of lawmakers they better not think about cutting funds to libraries.


I told a roomful of lawmakers that I wasn't less of an American because I like fancy cheese.


We laughed, listened, and shared ourselves for an hour and nobody have a damn where we were from, what our history was or how we got there. We were all Americans and we were all there to find ways to go forward. 


I love stories. At least I didn't forget that.

I also love trying fancy new food at shishi restaurants! I didn't forget that either!

Scallops and Shrimp from Anchor and Brine. This was soo good!



Happy Living to Tell -



1 comment: