Thursday, July 9, 2020

Gear, Gear, and More Gear - Preparing For Virtual Work In The Fall!



I have been part of touring theatre companies.

Ah yes, I certainly have. 

I spent two summers of high school building, painting, maintaining, and producing props with a cast. I helped construct backdrops and frames.

I was part of erecting those frames, putting up backdrops, and breaking the whole thing down, stowing them, and preparing for the next travel show.

I also did traveling theatre at university.

I even did a couple of shows after graduating. I looked around at the life of being in a small, traveling theatre company and said, "You know, this is not how I want to live my life."

So, I bid adieu to that part of my life and moved on to other things.

Storytelling is light on the gear.

I don't have puppets, a set, props, or costumes.

I don't have backdrops or lights, or anything like that to cart from place to place.

In fact, I have my mat - which is made from recycled coca-cola bottles that I bought in Australia, and my sound system when needed.

That was in the before time.

I have been performing in a little nook in my living room. It took me months to figure out how to light it so I didn't have crazy shadows and I could be seen.

That required lighting that I did not have.

Ultimately, I figured it out.

The David was polite enough about the situation as the summer went on, and then he started making these comments.

TD: "Have you considered a backdrop?

Me: "No."

TD: "You should think about it."

A few weeks later.

TD: "Have you looked at backdrops?"

Me: "No."

TD: I thought you would have looked at some backdrops."

A few days later

TD: "Backdrops?"

Me: Oh, yeah. I'm going to order some."

Every single day after that.

TD: "Backdrops?"

Me: "I'm doing it!"

It took me a lot of searching to find backdrops I liked. I finally settled on these two from an outfit called GladsBuy.


Bookcase from GladsBuy
Brick Wall from GladsBuy



These are not virtual backgrounds, they are actual backdrops made from vinyl. They have grommets in the top of them to hang on a frame. I've used them on a couple of occasions already, and they look great.


After buying these things, I related the whole annoying process to my daughter. She sat down, pulled out a pen, and designed a backdrop for me that incorporated the themes of my business.

I ordered that one from BackdropSource.


without lighting



with bright lighting



Then, a friend of mine who was watching all of this play out online, called me and offered to make me a custom backdrop. I said yes. So, I went from having no backdrops to having three and one on the way in a matter of days.

Well, if you have a backdrop, you have to have something on which to hang it.

Luckily, I know all about backdrops.

So, more gear.


I headed to efavormart, and ordered a frame for my new backdrops.

I put it together a couple of days ago.











It is lightweight, designed to be put together and taken apart. It takes less than five minutes to put it up or stow it. It comes in its own little pouch and fits in a closet. What more could I ask for?

Oh, I know what I could ask for.

I have to figure out how to light this new situation without huge shadows on the canvas.

Sigh.

Well, it isn't like I'm going anywhere...

Happy discovering!







1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this helpful post, Donna! Have a fuzzy...in your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete