Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Teller In Residence - Thoughts From Day 1

I love Folktales. I have loved them since I was a tot. Whatever else you can expect of me if you see me perform, you can be sure that if at all possible, I will work folktales into everything...my personal narratives included.


As the world of storytelling is more and more defined by the personal narrative, it often gives those of us who tell folktales pause.





(Personal Narrative (PN) is a prose narrative relating personal experience usually told in first person; its content is nontraditional.[1] Personal refers to a story from your life or your own experiences. Nontraditional refers to literature that does not fit the typical criteria of a narrative.


Cinderella
Is there a market for folktales amongst adults?        


How do adults deal with folktales?


How do people react to them?


Do we really need to hear these stories again?

This week, in Jonesborough, all of the sets I plan to present have folklore in them somewhere. Some, like today, have an introduction that is definitely personal, but the meat of the set is folklore.

The answer is...grown people will listen to folklore.

Adults enjoy it when it is done wholeheartedly and they react to it in some ways like children react to it.

Click here to watch Marilyn Tell The Juniper Tree
When I was out in California, I heard the wonderful Marilyn McPhie throw down some amazing folktales.


Adults are often mortified or shocked or interested in different elements than the children, but they react with the same gusto. I'm always pleased when I get audible gasps from the grown folk.

Storytelling audiences will play with you.



I've done my first turn as an almost straight up folklorist here as a Teller In Residence, and the response was positive.

One woman said to me afterwards, "I don't tend to like folklore, I'm tired of hearing the Cinderella story or whatever, but that was creative and interesting. I liked that!"

Tell what you tell with enthusiasm and genuine love. That is what is required of us as storytellers.




Happy Telling.









1 comment:

  1. Yes! Folk tales are valuable! I told several this weekend to adults, and they, too, reacted warmly and appreciatively to them. Please keep us posted as your week continues. I wish we could be there!

    ReplyDelete